Friday, January 20, 2012

Which is better for directions: Mapquest or Google?

Do you have one you prefer over the other? Why?Which is better for directions: Mapquest or Google?
Prior to getting a GPS in the car I had to rely pretty heavily on the mapping services for directions. Although I found that both systems had areas they were good or bad at (geographically speaking), it seemed like Google was better more often. They may change by region though.

I also personally found it helpful that if you had an account on Google -- didn't have to be related to the mapping function) -- it would remember prior addresses you had keyed into the system without any specific user action required. You didn't need to label the address or assign other naming to it. It worked more like the "in line autocomplete" does with the browser address bar.

Last, I liked the print feature of the Google maps. Less cluttered and don't recall advertising on the printout.

Hope that helps!
Both are good. And both are lousy.



I've gotten bad directions from both MapQuest and Google. In fact, two times now Google Maps has had me take a left onto a street where I should have taken a *right*, or vice versa. Google Maps also regularly tells me nowadays to enter a certain highway by means of an onramp that doesn't even exist. In fact, the Avoid Toll feature in Google Maps is not perfect; for some reason, it seems to think that it costs motorists nothing to take the Outerbridge Crossing from NJ to Staten Island.



So, if you want to be on the safe side, you have to use a small bit of independent verification before you use directions from either website. These days, I actually use MapQuest, Google Maps and Expedia for directions. Expedia is actually underrated, since it has a good sense of shortcuts and tends to have updated reports of construction delays.



[P.S. MapQuest is trying to catch up with Google though. It now has a Street View feature.]Which is better for directions: Mapquest or Google?
In my opinion, i prefer google over mapquest because the directions that google gives are way more accurate and it is not that complicated to follow the directions and stuff. Mapquest is not that great, I have always found it to be a pain in the *** because I will type in a address and it will lead me to a different location which i don't want.



GOOGLE is why better also because if you want to know how long it will take to walk to a specific address, it will tell you and if you are planning to use public transportation, it also tells you how long it will take to get to that location too.Which is better for directions: Mapquest or Google?
I personally prefer Google. I used to use Mapquest before Google Maps / Directions came along and it did the job but I find that Google gives better directions and knows all the shortcuts through areas that have heavy traffic. Google maps is also much easier to navigate. Mapquest still has that late 90's / early 2000's navigation feel.
I like Google better it gives you better directions views and pictures from every address you input.
Neither. Yahoo is more accurate.
  • korres
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment